WELCOME!

Welcome to my site dedicated to Victorian literature, culture and history.
I hope you will enjoy your visit!

Here below is a carousel of books you might enjoy about the Victorian Era.
Note that this list is NOT randomly generated by Amazon.
These are hand-picked books that I own and/or that I have used and which I personally find interesting.



Monday, April 5, 2010

The Opening of the Great Exhibition by Queen Victoria on 1 May 1851 (1851-1852)

I stumbled upon this nice painting this morning, by artist Henry Courtenay Selous and showing a (slightly contrived) vision of Victoria's opening of the Great Exhibition, in 1851 (an event which, I'm sure, I'll have numerous occasions to go back to in the future). Besides Prince Albert and Queen Victoria, you can also see on this picture the Archbishop of Canterbury (who blessed the exhibition). On the day of the opening, more than 25000 people attended.


And since I'm at it... Here below is a picture of another "Crystal Palace," this time in New-York. It was built only two years later, in 1853, as a pavilion for the Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations (another World's Fair). It was destroyed in 1858 by fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment